Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm not too sure...

how many of you (my readers that is) know that I am a member of the Seattle Men's Chorus, cause if you didn't, now you know. And were not just your typical gay chorus either.

Our chorus is having a concert this weekend called "Comedy Tonight" which is chock full of hilarity, musical numbers, and the answer to the question "What's short for sex?"...Leslie Jordan. Yes, Mr. Beverly Leslie himself of Will and Grace fame will be joining us on these festive Pride evenings.

I often hear people comment that they disdain gay choruses because of their "camp" tendencies. Now true that we do have a lot of colorful and campy songs, but for the most part it is carried by well rehearsed and talented people. A great example of this talent I will share with you as an exclusive since this is a recording of one of our rehearsals (most likely it'll be pulled cause of copyright infringements and blah blah). It's not a song of humor, but a song that reminds people of the beauty that is the community chorus, and that we are serious professionals!

In this live rehearsal recording, we sang with the Seattle Women's Chorus what is considered a canonical American art song written originally as a poem by Pulitzer Prize winner James Rufus Agee in his collective book of poems "Permit Me Voyage" and set to music in 1938 Samuel Barber. The one we sang was a choral arrangement by Barber that places the melody in canon between the soprano and tenor parts. This is a more difficult piece for choir than the original solo song which was intended for a Baritone alone as it was premiered by the musician himself.

When singing, I could only hear myself and the two next to me. I didn't hear the other parts till our director made the Alto women open up (and blow everyone else away) so we can hear the blend, and I swear to you I couldn't sing after. I was so deeply moved by the beauty of the range and piece that it took me a while to get myself together to proceed. The song will literally take your breath away. As if this song is bringing down the angels themselves (cue beautiful anime angels descending upon gay folks).

If you like movie soundtracks with heavenly voices and classical music then you'll surely enjoy this piece, if not bring tears to your eyes. So if the night skies are clear, open up your windows, enjoy a glass of merlot, and gaze the stars, "Sure on this Shining Night".

4 comments:

ArrBee said...

I am one of those guilty of the critical comments you've mentioned. I suppose I'm a performance snob and prefer my choral pieces to have a air of sophistication about them. Don't get me wrong; I like a lighthearted piece or even an entire program. But gay choruses to tend to be overly campy for me. That said ...

... this song is absolutely beautiful and you all sound great! If I could find a gay chorus who performed arrangements like this instead of the over-the-top stuff, I'd join in a heartbeat.

Basilio Bocalan said...

Half the time it's the guys in their younger 20s that are impossibly immature that makes rehearsals difficult.

I love being in this chorus cause they do have concerts where it would only have a few light-hearted songs in ratio with the more serious ones.

xo
BB

Tuffie said...

it was very very pretty

go you

o_O

Basilio Bocalan said...

I know right?!

PRETTY! *twirls ribbon dancer

FRIENDSHIP!!!