Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So I'm totally...

psyched that my best friend Tuffie finally watched "Sex and the City". I told him that if nothing else it would definitely be an experience for him. And sure enough it was.

There were several themes in the movie, but to me the main one was forgiveness.

Forgiving, in my opinion, is a form of a gift that one could bestow on someone else. Just like love, forgiveness is something you never just give away easily and to just anyone. Forgiveness has a lot of weight, importance, and power. It can relieve someone of pain and misery, it can also mend relationships and bridge gaps between adversaries.

Transgressions are of varying degrees that require specific kinds of forgiveness. There's the forgiveness that erases everything, and there's the kind that we give that never forgets. The latter of the two is considered the consolation prize, cause let's face it, when significant damage is done there's no way to repair it, and there's no win win situation at hand. We count our loses, and if we manage to forgive, then we can absolve ourselves of pain, guilt, and resentment.

The song I have chosen was used in the trailer for the movie, and if you were paying good enough attention, played right after Miranda and Steve's session with their counselor. It was the tune that played as Miranda and Carrie talked in the park. The song was written by Don Henley, Mike Campbell, and J. D. Souther and was released in 1990 as part of Don Henley's third solo album "The End of Innocence". Don Henley is a member of the famed country/rock band The Eagles. The song is lyrically beautiful, poignant, and touches on the basic and most human of emotions that we go through as far as reasons and absolution. India.Aire recorded a cover version that was the one used for the film. It's one of the few times when a cover actually gave justice to such a wonderful piece. She released it along with a few other great songs in 2006 for her "Testimony: Vol 1, Life & Relationship". My cousin gave me this album back in 06 and have always loved this version.

I've gone through times in my life where I needed forgiveness and have given it as well. I'm making a lot of apologies to myself, and there's one big one that I've yet to accept. There are times when I thought I had forgiven, when in fact I hadn't just because the betrayal was too much to just be dismissed. This is what makes us human. We don't forgive sometimes cause in our hearts we know it would just be a lie. I couldn't do it, even as a consolation prize.

Let us meditate on these thoughts, and listen closely to India.Aire as she brings us to "The Heart of the Matter".

The Heart of the Matter - India.Arie

6 comments:

Tuffie said...

very nice

i'm still hashing out who i want to give access to via my pvt blog, the last being about the same topic, but i'll keep you posted

the movie was good, fun times were had by all

o_O

Basilio Bocalan said...

And so we shall speak to others and shout it in the mountain tops...

"WATCH SEX AND THE CITY MOVIE...WORTH THE MONEY!"

FRIENDSHIP!!!

P.S. I will never steer you wrong when it comes to movies I know you and I will enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Good post! I think a song worth writing a post about is "A Song for You". It is by Donnie Hathaway, even though I think I like Simply Red's version a bit better.

Dirty said...

Welcome Back...I had to find that song cuz it sounded familiar and know i'm 'livin in the 90s' as i listen to it.

Forgiveness...Beautiful! The way you expressed forgiveness was the same way Portia expressed showing mercy to the shylock:
The quality of mercy is not strained
It droppeth as the gentle rain of heaven upon the place beneath
It is twice blessed, it blesseth he that gives and he that takes
Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown;
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That, in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea;
Which if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant there.

I had this memorized like in 10th grade, and thought it to be very powerful and moving

~ besos

Jason Vorva said...

Hey ther mr. writer! I am enjoying your blog. If I recall correctly, I have you to thank for my even knowing who India.Aire is. And I love her. I have listend to that song so many times, and it still stirs so many different emotions, depending on what the crisis of the day is ;)
I hope you are well. I love you!

Basilio Bocalan said...

DV-

I enjoy both versions, but my favorite is actually Herbie Hancock's version with Christina A. on vocals.
Great song, possible blog at some point when it calls for such an occasion.

Dirty-

That's one powerful poem. It also echoes the same sentiments as that old saying "To err is to human, to forgive divine."
Thank you for sharing that, guapito!
xo

JV-

Welcome to the world that is my blog! -lol And yes I do remember giving you the gift that is India.Aire. I'm hoping once our schedules free up we can meet downtown for a reunion and catch up. Love you too.